Every now and again I find an interesting fact about SMS, I thought I’d share my top 10...
1. Malaysia is the only country where it is legal to divorce via text message.
2. Phones did not have the ability to compose SMS messages until Nokia introduced the feature to its range in 1993.
3. Texts couldn’t be sent between different networks in the UK until 1999.
4. A 2009 trial showed that at 70mph, sending a text added 70 feet to stopping distance. Being legally drunk only added four.
5. If you text while driving, you are 23 times more likely to get in an accident.
6. Cell phones cause an average of 1.4million car crashes every year. Of those, 200,000 are due to text messaging.
7. Premium rate messaging was debuted in 1998 for – you guessed it – ringtones. The ringtone business was worth US$1bn by 2002, and nearly five times that by 2008.
8. In 2005, the Eurovision Song Contest broke the record for televoting, counting both SMS and phone votes. It had pioneered voting by text in 2002.
9. On Christmas Day in 2006, more than 205 million texts were sent in the UK alone. In 2011, Brits sent over 150 billion. Globally, over six trillion texts are sent annually.
10. In 2007, the average cell phone conversation was 3.13 minutes. In 2009 the average had dropped to 2.03 minutes! The lowest average since this data was tracked.